Saturday, December 11, 2010

Are you a true Professional? - It’s time to recapitulate

Just having a good profession doesn’t make - A Complete Professional. “Professionalism” the adjective considers several other qualities, which is more of art and behavioural expertise. You won’t believe there are still many people at the top management positions – still striving to acquire this skill. Yes, it is so dynamic in nature.

There is no hard and fast guidelines/routes or deadline to adopt this character. The only rule works here – Learn> practice> apply>teach>learn.

Yes, professionalism is the etiquette that you learn over the years with mistakes (both your and others). Well, I am not too expert in this domain; but, fortunate to be associated with few idols in my career. They have been exceptional in executing management skills at their work place. Even today I admire them a lot.

Here is a small lesson, I cultured and wanted to apply in need. Still long way to go, but wanted to share few pieces of it.

Do you have the hunger for it?

Well, you must be OK with your current job schedule, work pressure or salary structure. You maintain a mix of relationship with your reporting boss, and everything seems at peace, flowing smooth. Then, why the hell to break your head and crave for the hot seat. Let the years pass with no risks of change (God knows if turns negative instead of progressive).

What we are used to?

Mostly, the attitude is: I need a comfortable target, gossip-friendly working environment, adjustable Boss, average annual increment and a good-type relationship with peers, juniors and all. Who care thinking of self-improvements, influencing others, putting an extra effort to do something new?

  • I like more of being myself, listen to my heart-felt decisions and let others do their own.
  • I don’t bother being late (unless it affects my salary figure), doing wrong, criticizing someone’s good
  • I don’t care showing my skill and potential to the fullest
  • I don’t like taking challenge, doing what other don’t like
  • I don’t want others to grow better than me
  • I shy praising others. Please don’t name it “Inferiority complex”
  • I often do overtime while my peers don’t
  • I like being in a grapevine, I favour those who are good to me
  • I can’t try it by anyway; I had no information of this new assignment
  • If not today, I will check it tomorrow (Only God knows if time permits me tomorrow)
  • Why should I do it, when no one else feels interested? Am I gaining some extra?
  • I can manage my Boss! I am sure to get favour from him/her
  • I know I am wrong! Why should I confess it?
  • I know what I am good at. Why should I take your advice?
  • I need your help, but don’t feel begging it.

The list starts here….

Accept it or not on face, these are typical mentalities we do carry. Do you feel the same?

Professionalism is a character you need to imbibe and develop within yourself. It needs real passion for substantial growth.

But how do you culture and nurture this habit? Is it possible to be a perfect professional, just by learning? What advantages are there for a true professional?

However, such aspects of professionalism remain unattended here. I am sure to cover those areas on my next post.

Would expect more suggestions from you!

2 comments:

  1. Good one Sanat! And u r right, professionalism implies the hunger to learn and grow... the desire to increase your skill and expand your domain of expertise with time and in turn contributing something for the growth of the organization/industry you are employed in.

    However, I would like to add another one point that is 'professional ethics'. Professionalism also means maintaining certain professional ethics as well. It will not only help you walk the right path but also earn you respect from your peers. BUT how many of us actually aware of it? and how many take it seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Moon.Ethics play an important role here. We are so used to sedentary work culture, maintaining an ethical standard seems far away from our reach. We never give it a thought even.In fact, no one will motivate you to apply it in workplace. It's unfortunate,sheer shame.

    ReplyDelete